Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 Movie Reviews


I saw 30 new releases this year. Most were big box office hits, so I won't get to the Oscar/Golden Globe nominated movies for a while. Many of you may disagree with some, but there are biases for my choices that I may explain in my top 10 or so.
  1. Rogue One - I saw it twice and loved the story it told, including the last 20 minutes when all hell broke loose and you see Darth Vader rage against the Rebels. A great bridging movie to A New Hope, and, as a Sci-fi writer, a wonder to behold.
  2. Pete's Dragon - I never saw the orginial, and my girls got this one for Xmas, so it was a nice surprise and told a wonderful story about Pete and his Dragon Elliot. Highly recommend.
  3. The Jungle Book - My favourite Disney movie of all time, and I loved how they did it, even if I wasn't totally a fan of Walken singing "Wanna be like you."
  4. Captain America: Civil War - This was just plain fun that was great to watch. Such great story telling, humour, action, and the introduction of Black Panther was awesome.
  5. Deadpool - Outlanding, Irreverant, action-packed, funny, and what the fans wanted.
  6. Zootopia - Great story telling with a not so obvious message that kids can really get.
  7. Finding Dory - Just short of being as great as Finding Nemo, but still a great watch with lots of humour and emotion.
  8. Moana - I am a sucker for any movie that shows hawaiian/polynesian history and adventure, and for Disney to do this... I was in love the whole movie. Great songs too.
  9. Star Trek Beyond - Great action, humour, and a solid Trek story that fans like me can appreciate.
  10. Ghostbusters - Any movie that can have my girls in awe of the characters and loving the story is a hit for me. Too much bad press on this, mostly from fanboys upset at it being girls, that wasn't warranted.
Here are my final 20. Only one real dud in the bunch. I'll comment on the odd one here and there.
  1. 10 Cloverfield Lane - A nice surprise. John Goodman is an acting god.
  2. Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice - Yes, I liked it. But I am a Batman fan at heart and I liked Man of Steel, so this one was good for me. But watch the Ultimate Version, much better.
  3. Independence Day: Resurgence
  4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of Shadows
  5. X-Men: Apocalypse
  6. Dr Strange
  7. The Conjuring 2 - Not as scary as the original, but still creepy.
  8. The Witch - A nice surprise as well. Starts slow, then the terror gets worse... Bad goat.
  9. Central Intelligence
  10. Suicide Squad - Yes, I did like this one as well. Leto's Joker was ok, but Smith's Deadshot and Robbie's Harley Quinn were just awesome.
  11. London Has Fallen
  12. Secret Life of Pets
  13. Batman: Killing Joke - The first half was ok, regarding Batgirl, but when the 2nd half came, that was when it got very good. It's hard to take an iconic graphic novel like that and turn it into a movie, but they did a decent job.
  14. Sing
  15. Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - They changed the ending from the book more than what I was comfortable with, so it wasn't a total let down, but it could have been better
  16. Midnight Special - A neat surprise about a "special" child with powers wanted by the government. The ending was pretty neat.
  17. Storks
  18. Angry Birds Movie
  19. Hardcore Henry - It started pretty good, then got worse. Great concept, but didn't work as well as it could have.
Total DUD: Sharknado 4 - The first two were fun, but they should have stopped.



Happy viewing for 2017!

No comments: